Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Homemade

I've been educating myself lately on how to do things. Here's how it all came about: I was browsing through various etsy shops, as I am wont to do, and found a shop called Theraganics. This shop makes home made soaps. As I was looking through her very attractive products (yes, it's has always been difficult for me to resist bath products), I thought that making soap could be a useful skill to have. What if our government collapsed and chaos ensued? Then what would I do about personal hygiene? So I decided to learn. I read up on it, and now consider myself adequately knowledgeable on the subject. But then, I thought, if I can't get soap, I'm probably not going to be able to get lye, which is the essential ingredient. So, accordingly, I learned how to extract lye from the ash of hardwood. Who knows if any of this knowledge will be useful? I had better learn something a bit more applicable to my life. So, my new project will be to make my own yogurt. I like yogurt. So does Dan, in smoothies and what not. So, I'll give it a try, and calculate the expense to see if it is cost-effective. And I will let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, homemade yogurt is delicious--especially made with organic, whole milk! :)

    ReplyDelete